Over a great many years Gallup the US pollsters have been looking at Employee Engagement and they have created a poll of 12 questions that go like this;
The Q12 Index
1) Do you know what is expected of you at work?
2) Do you have the materials and equipment to do your work right?
3) At work, do you have the opportunity to do what you do best every day?
4) In the last seven days, have you received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5) Does your supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about you as a person?
6) Is there someone at work who encourages your development?
7) At work, do your opinions seem to count?
8) Does the mission/purpose of your company make you feel your job is important?
9) Are your associates (fellow employees) committed to doing quality work?
10) Do you have a best friend at work?
11) In the last six months, has someone at work talked to you about your progress?
12) In the last year, have you had opportunities to learn and grow?
Now, if you turn them around into doing statements for leaders and managers they create a brilliant Action Plan for you to demonstrate your real commitment to Employee Engagement.
The Q12 Action Plan for Managers
1) I make clear what is expected of my employees at work.?
2) I provide my team with the right materials and equipment to do their work.
3) I encourage my team to do what you do best every day?
4) I provide recognition or praise for doing good work?
5) I demonstrate that I care for my team.
6) I encourage their personal and professional development?
7) I listen to the opinions of my team and make them count?
8) I show how the mission/purpose of our company is met by the job done by my team.
9) My team are committed to doing quality work?
10) I encourage my team to be best friends at work?
11) I talk to my team members at least every six months about their progress?
12) Each year I provide opportunities for each team member to to learn and grow?